The Twelve Cards of Christmas (and Other Winter Holidays)
It’s holiday card season!
Now I know that Christmas, Hanukkah, and all other holiday cards are something that I know can bring up a plethora of feelings… from joy to stress to guilt. There are some people among us who never fail to send out adorable cards every year, even complete with family photos. These people are amazing and I am not one of them.
There are others among us who try and fail to get cards out before the holidays, and are doing well to get something in the mail before the new year rolls around. Honestly some of us, the idea of sending a holiday greeting out en masse is not even on the radar.
Once in mid-March I discovered, hiding under a pile of papers, a stack of lovely Christmas cards that I’d written and addressed but just hadn’t managed to get into the mailbox. It happens to the best of us.
The truth is that the holiday season is full of so many responsibilities and expectations, and sometimes, sending cards to a long list of friends and family members just isn’t meant to happen. If it is a priority of yours, then by all means, I salute you. Send away and be proud of yourself for doing so! And if, on the other hand, you find yourself like me, feeling accomplished if you get one card in the mailbox all season, that’s still reason enough for a celebratory mug of cocoa!
Regardless of where you find yourself on the spectrum of likelihood of sending a Christmas card, I’ve put together a quick list of the Root & Branch Paper Co. holiday card list for 2018. We’ve created these cards for those of you who send heaps of cards, and those who don’t. For those who love the holidays, and those who don’t. For those who include religion in this time of year, and those who don’t.
My most straightforward hope is that these cards bring a smile this holiday season, to you, a family member, or a friend. Without further ado, I bring you:
The Twelve Cards of Christmas
(and Hanukkah, Chinese New Year, and the winter holidays in general)
1. Happy Holidays: Our holiday card that covers pretty much any occasion. Features white nightshade flowers on a blue background, and comes packed in a scarlet envelope.
2. Peace on Earth: my favorite design in our holiday card collection, because on a good day, the hope of peace on earth is something that drives me forward. Features anemone and eucalyptus on a blue background, and comes packed in a scarlet envelope.
3. Warm Holiday Wishes: A warm holiday card with a warm (albeit unconventional) holiday color palette. Features night phlox flowers on a blue background, and comes packed in a white envelope.
4. To You and Yours: a fresh card adorned with juniper sprigs, good for any winter holiday, at any time… even if you’re scrambling to send cards the week after the holidays!
5. Merry Christmas to You: A classic, light and cheery Christmas greeting card. Features wild sweet pea on a light blue background, and comes packed in a scarlet envelope.
6. Merry Christmas: An alternate Christmas card, in cool tones and a refined holiday color palette. Features night phlox flowers on a blue background, and comes packed in a scarlet envelope.
7. Feliz Navidad: A Spanish-language alternative for our nightshade card.
8. Happy Hanukkah: A simple and bright card for Hanukkah, featuring our night phlox print with gold blooms and white florals.
9. Merry & Bright: A cheery and festive card featuring coneflowers and packed in our signature scarlet holiday envelope.
10. Happy New Year: This bright and wintry juniper print rings in the new year with a hint to new growth and beginnings. Packed in an ice white envelope.
11 . Happy Chinese New Year: This is a card I’m personally excited about. Since I moved to China in 2014, CNY has been a big part of my life. The Chinese on this card says 新年快乐 or “xīn nián kuài lè” which is simplified Chinese, as used in the mainland, and literally translates to happy new year. The text is surrounded by a wreath of Chinese bellflowers and the card comes packed in a classic scarlet envelope.
12. Thinking of You: Last but not least, we have a few thoughtful cards for friends and family who are not celebrating during this season, or for whatever reason find the holiday season to be a particularly stressful or difficult time. A simple thoughtful card is a kind way to say “you are seen, you are remembered” during the busyness of this season.
Well, that’s a wrap! Those are our 12 holiday cards for the 2018/2019 holiday season. Wishing you all a peaceful and joyful holiday, no matter when or how you celebrate.